The purpose of AHECTA shall be to promote and develop the use of campus communication, cable, and video services as instructional, informational, and entertainment tools in Higher Education.
- Facilitate communications and networking between its members by providing an annual directory of the current membership and the services they provide, a website, and an electronic discussion list.
- Promote the professional development of its members through annual educational workshops and the maintenance of an electronic archive of pertinent information on developments in communications technologies and programming options, equipment and programming corporations, and scholarly papers on topics related to cable TV and video production and distribution.
- Promote the exchange and distribution of campus-produced programming among members.
- Promote the creative and effective use of campus communications, content, and video services by students, faculty, and staff.
- Conduct research on legal, pedagogical, and social issues related to the use of campus communications, content, and video services in higher education.
- Represent and promote the common interests of members to legislative bodies, regulatory agencies, and professional organizations.
- Encourage the highest professional and technical standards in the provision of campus communications, content, and video services to higher education.
AHECTA grew out of an annual conference organized by the University of Massachusetts – Amherst (UMASS) called the “Collective of Campus Cable Operators & Administrators” (COCCOA). In 1996, seven individuals, committed to the advancement of cable television services on university campuses, formed AHECTA as a separate entity from UMASS. The new association was incorporated in 1997 in the State of Delaware. Orlando, Florida became the site of the first AHECTA Campus Cable Conference in June 1998.
To see an historical AHECTA timeline, click here.
AHECTA is governed by a ten-member board of directors, all elected by the general membership. There are four Officer positions: President, President-Elect, Treasurer, and Immediate Past President. There are six directors at large consisting of four institutional members and two corporate members. Terms of service for each role can be found in the AHECTA By-Laws.
June 26-29, 2017: Clearwater Beach, FL: 20th Annual Conference
Registration includes meals and breaks, an opening reception, a conference registration packet and program, three general and ten concurrent sessions, an annual member’s meeting, and at least one optional, industry-related tour. Approximately 20-25 corporate members exhibit.
PREVIOUS ANNUAL CONFERENCES
AHECTA rotates the annual conference to different regions of the U.S. so that all members have a chance to attend a nearby conference. If you have a suggestion for a future conference city location, please send it to us!
Membership size: 400 individuals representing approximately 85 institutional members and 25 corporate members.
Categories: Institutional, Corporate